One of our favorite English watchmakers Roger Smith (Roger W. Smith) just announced that he has completed a watch commissioned by the British government for Prime Minister David Cameron. Called the GREAT Britain, this is the latest in Roger Smith’s series of bespoke timepieces produced on a made-to-order basis. The watch was commissioned by the Conrad Bird, the Prime Minister’s Director of Communications in 2012.
Articles | Roger Smith
It is not often that one gets to handle and spend time with a watch of such horological importance. In my recent visit to the Isle of Man with Roger Smith (that you can read about here), Roger asked me if I wanted to see something special. I did not know what he had in mind, being that I thought that everything he produced at his studio was special already.
The Isle of Man is an island off the coast of the UK mainland that is not known for many things except perhaps the TT races and also as a place for lower tax rates.
If however, you are well versed with high-end watch-making, you will instantly know that this is the place where significant things have happened in the world of horology…
At the end of July I had the special pleasure of spending a couple hours with Roger Smith as he swooped into Los Angeles to deliver the commissioned and bespoke Big Date Tourbillon that had been four years in the making. I have a special interest in independent watchmakers and Roger Smith, who hails from […]
Ask Us Anything!
- Where Are The Best Places In The World To Buy Watches?
- Why Does A Mechanical Watch Make Noise While Worn?
- Should I Keep My Automatic Watch On A Watch Winder Daily?
- Should You Take Fashion Brand Watches Seriously?
- What Are The Best Japanese Mechanical Watch Movement Makers?
- What Is A GMT Watch?
- Does Polishing A Watch Affect Its Value?
- What Color Luminant Is The Brightest And What Is The Best Lume?
- Why Do Watch Dials With Roman Numerals Use “IIII” Rather Than “IV?”
- What Does “L SWISS MADE L” On A Watch Dial Mean?
Get it by Email
Watches in your inbox. Every day.
- Roger Smith “GREAT Britain” Watch Specially Made For Prime Minister David Cameron December 12, 2013
- Romain Jerome Skylab Spaceage Skeleton Watch December 12, 2013
- L. Leroy Osmior Tourbillon Regulateur Automatique Watches Hands-On December 12, 2013
- Buben & Zorweg Time Mover Handwound, An Automatic Watch Winder For Handwound Watches December 11, 2013
- Calibre de Cartier Chronograph Watch Hands-On December 11, 2013
More Watch Love…
- BaselWorld 2013
- BaselWorld 2012
- BaselWorld 2011
- SIHH Articles
- SIHH 2013
- Buying Guides
- HourTime Show
- Ladies’ Watches
- Watch Talk
- Industry News
- Survival Watches
- Military Watches
- Ceramic Watches
- GMT Watches
- Skull Watches
- Watch Winders
- Watch Straps
- Sales & Auctions
- Watch What-If
- Watch Style
- iPhones & Apps
- All Giveaways
- Evolving ABTW