Zelos watches, based in Singapore, have carved themselves a niche in the busy micro-brand landscape by producing robustly designed automatic watches with an emphasis on value and the use of intriguing materials like meteorite dials and marine grade bronze cases. After releasing several successful dive watches such as the Hammerhead, which ABTW reviewed here, and the original Abyss, Zelos are proud to announce the latest watch in their collection, the Zelos Abyss II, a 3000m, bronze cased, automatic, dual crown diver’s watch available in six different variations.
Overbuilt engineering intended to take on the often adverse subaquatic environment is at the center of Zelos’ design concept, and the Abyss II is an excellent example of what Zelos does best. Equipped with a 43mm wide by 51.5mm long CuSn8 bronze case and a 7mm thick, double domed, anti-reflective (on the inside only) sapphire crystal, the 19mm thick Zelos Abyss II can confidently descend to a crushing 3000m of depth. Dual lumed bronze crowns allow for time setting and manipulating the internal 12 hour bezel, which allows for the tracking of a second time zone. A traditional external, bronze 120 click diver’s elapsed time bezel is deeply engraved and filled with Super-LumiNova.
The Abyss II dial is multi level in construction reminiscent of the Hammerhead and is available in six different configurations including green, blue, black, and dark grey multifaceted meteorite, which has become something of a Zelos hallmark. Bronze rimmed hands and hour markers compliment the case and feature a hearty helping of C3/BGW9 Super-LumiNova to ensure easy nighttime viewing. The Abyss II is also available in black or blue with a turbine dial featuring a running turbine at 6 o’clock rather than a sweep seconds hand.
For actual time keeping duties, the Zelos Abyss II relies on the Sellita SW200 movement, a 25 jewel, Swiss made caliber oscillating at 28,800bph. The turbine dialed versions utilize the very similar Sellita SW-260 small seconds movement.
- 43mm Diameter Case in CuSn8 Bronze
- 51.5mm lug to lug length makes it extremely wearable. 19mm thickness for the water-resistance.
- Brushed case with polished edges and Bronze crowns
- Sellita SW200 Swiss Movement
- 7mm thick Sapphire crystal: scratched only by diamond. Double domed in shape and inner coated with anti reflective coating.
- Water Resistance of 3000m
- External divers bezel: 120 click, unidirectional. Lumed triangle and full lumed markers
- Internal 12 Hour bezel for separate timezone tracking
- Engraved logo as well on crown, buckle
- Multi Level Dial with circular brushed inner dial
- C3/BGW9 Super-LumiNova on hands and markers
- 1 Year international warranty
As usual for Zelos, the Abyss II represents an excellent value. Pre-order prices for the regular dials start at $569 USD (full retail is $949 USD) and $829 USD for the meteorite dial version, which is expected to increase to $1,099 USD after the pre-order period. Prices for each model will increase by $30 USD with every 20 units sold and the watches are due to ship in the middle of December. zeloswatches.com