This is SUPERLATIVE: A Podcast about watches, the people behind them, and the worlds that inspire them. This week, our host and aBlogtoWatch Founder Ariel Adams is joined by Michael Pearson, Brand Director for Zodiac Watches. To kick off the show, the two discuss Mike’s time away from the watch industry and how he feels that his perspective has changed in the years since he originally started working within it. Ariel then asks Mike about his experience operating within the U.S. market, specifically as a non-American, along with some of the popular misconceptions about Americans and their business practices, in general. The conversation then shifts to Mike’s current role, and Ariel asks him about some of the tactics that he uses to get people excited about the company he represents. The two then get into a discussion about what hard work really means within the watch industry and why it is always important to find the right fit at a company where you will be allowed to continue to grow.
After getting into the details of Mike’s role at Zodiac and his infectious passion for the watch industry as a whole, Ariel asks Mike about his hopes and dreams for Zodiac and where he would like to see the brand in the future. The two then get into a conversation about the various dangers and pitfalls that many watch brands encounter when trying to move upmarket in price, which ultimately leads to a discussion about the perceived importance of value within the watch industry and why Zodiac is able to occupy such a sweet-spot due to having the Fossil Group as its parent company. After breaking down the true value of Zodiac watches and their current positioning within today’s market, the two look ahead to the future, and Ariel asks Mike about how he would like the next generation of collectors to be introduced to the Zodiac brand. Mike explains why he believes that timepieces should never be too precious that you are afraid to enjoy them, and why he thinks that you should always let your kids play with your watches.
Stay Up-to-Date with Mike and Zodiac Watches:
- 01:07 — Spending some time away from the watch industry and coming back with a fresh perspective.
- 11:56 — Working in the U.S. market as a non-American and some of the popular misconceptions about it.
- 22:06 — The strategies of getting people excited about the brand that you are representing.
- 27:08 — The definition of hard work within the watch industry and the importance of finding the right fit at a company where you can continue to grow.
- 34:24 — Mike’s current role with Zodiac and his passion for the watch industry.
- 40:52 — Where Mike wants to see the Zodiac brand in the future.
- 46:25 — Resisting the urge to increase prices and the true value of Zodiac watches.
- 56:10 — Introducing the next generation of collectors to Zodiac and why Mike thinks you should always let your kids play with your watches.
We’d love to hear from you with feedback or suggestions for future show topics or guests. Advertising opportunities are also available. Comment or contact [email protected].