Undone is democratizing custom made watches by offering affordable yet customizable timepieces via their watch customizer. Their Aqua dive collection was launched last year, with immense positive feedback from press and owners. For 2017, their new Urban Chronograph collection is available for pre-orders and pledges on Kickstarter until the end of December. Their project is titled “The US$175 Watch Challenge by Undone,” which is currently over 700% funded with more than 800 backers.
Starting at a special introductory price of US$139 for fixed designs and US$159 for a custom unit, Undone aims to test and learn from their backers about people’s reaction to their customizable vintage concept chronograph. While the history of a vintage watch is impossible to reproduce, the team of 4 passionate watch collectors thinks that it is worth the time and effort to recreate a watch case that retains iconic key features of a 1960s vintage timepiece, with upgrades tailored to our modern-day lifestyle.
For the past 6 months, the Undone team have designed and prototyped their new customizable Urban Chronograph concept, which is inspired by five iconic and important vintage watches historically. Referenced classics include the Rolex Daytona “Paul Newman,” Omega Speedmaster “Moonwatch,” Heuer Autavia, Rolex Dato Compax “Jean Claude Killy,” and Breitling Navitimer.
The Urban Chronograph doesn’t only come retro, it also comes customizable. The idea is to let everyone build their own interpretation of a vintage watch. After all, Undone’s mission statement is to “democratize customizable watches.” The Undone Urban Chronograph is now available on Kickstarter for pre-orders, with fixed designs starting from a special introductory price of US$139, until 1st January 2017. The project has already raised over HKD$1,000,000 (US$12,000+) in total. You can check out the Urban Chronograph Kickstarter campaign here.
What makes the Undone’s Kickstarter project interesting is the motivation behind the product. Undone’s founder, Michael Young, has been serving and supplying top Swiss watch labels and conglomerates, e.g., Swatch Group, Hublot, Audemars Piglet, Omega, Frank Muller, Fortis, etc., with watch parts, packaging, and official repair services. He decided to leverage his own network of contacts and appointed the exact same factories collaboratively to produce the Urban Chronograph while maintaining their quality standards. When Michael was questioned on how he managed to drive down Undone’s cost structure, he explained that the experience of the Undone Team allows them to keep everything in-house, including product development, watch assembly, packaging and fulfillment. This greatly reduced fees and markups from external partners, which many other new brands employ to reduce their risk of over investment. You can watch the 3-minute video documentary titled “The US$200 Watch Challenge by Undone” on YouTube here.
The Undone Urban Chronograph comes in a highly detailed bespoke watch case that retains all signature vintage watch features, such as a super domed watch crystal, convex dial, stepped bezel, stepped round chronograph pushers, big crown, and straight lugs. While maintaining the retro look, the new Urban Chronograph has incorporated a modern touch of subtle improvements.
- Modern upgrade to domed K1 hardened mineral glass from domed acrylic for maximum durability and scratch resistance
- All Urban leather straps feature a vintage single thread finish, with a modern twist of using quick release spring bars for a tool-less strap changing experience
- Powered by a VK61 hybrid movement by Seiko Instruments Inc., featuring a mechanical flyback sweeping chronograph and a reliable quartz timing module, reducing the cost of ownership to almost ZERO, compared to high servicing costs for traditional vintage timepieces.
- Self-innovated dial and caseback printing technology, offering best-in-class personalization capabilities.
Emphasizing the “build your own” concept, the Undone Urban Chronograph can be customized via the online customizer on Undone’s official website. Users can build their own Urban with choices of case colors, hands, dials, and straps. Best of all, you can further personalize it by adding your name, initials, or logos as well. In a sense, Undone allows users to infuse their own story to their tailor made retro timepiece.
Customization options include:
- Case Coatings x 4 ( Original Stainless Steel Silver, Black PVD, Gold and Rose Gold )
- Dial Collection x 3 ( Signature Vintage, Modern and Classic with 20+ dials in total )
- Caseback: Solid or Exhibition Glass
- Straps: 20+ strap choices all equipped with quick release spring bars, with different categories of materials including leather and fabrics.
- Movement: Choice between WHITE or BLACK date wheel on the Seiko VK-61 Mechanical-Quartz Hybrid movement.
- Personalization Options: Letters on the front dial, solid caseback engraving, and image printing on the glass back.
The vintage inspired Urban Chronograph is now being offered on Kickstarter at a special introductory price starting from US$139 for the 5 signature vintage fixed designs. For US$175, you get to “Build Your Own” interpretation of the Urban with any parts combination. Official release of the Undone Urban Chronograph will be around March 2017, with a price of US$250 to US$279. You can visit Undone’s official website to find out more and start customizing. You can also find them on Instagram and Facebook. undone.watch
Specifications for the customizable Undone Urban Chronograph
- Case Size: 40mm diameter excluding crown, 13mm thick
- Case Material: 316L stainless steel
- Case Coating Options: black PVD, silver, yellow gold, rose gold
- Case Finish: Brushed and Polished
- Caseback: See-through exhibition glass or solid engraved
- Bezel: Stepped
- Crystal: Domed K1 hardened with enhanced scratch resistance
- Water Resistance: 30 Meters / 3ATM
- Movement: Seiko SII VK61 Hybrid, quartz timing module, mechanical flyback chronograph
- Functions: Small seconds hand, 60 minutes timer, mechanical flyback reset, telemeter, tachymeter
- Straps: Genuine leather strap with vintage finishing
- Lug width: 20mm
- Lug to lug: 47mm
Sponsored Posts are a form of advertising that allows sponsors to share useful news, messages, and offers to aBlogtoWatch readers in a way traditional display advertising is often not best suited to. All Sponsored Posts are subject to editorial guidelines with the intent that they offer readers useful news, promotions, or stories. The viewpoints and opinions expressed in Sponsored Posts are those of the advertiser and not necessarily those of aBlogtoWatch or its writers.