If you travel, then there is more that the Astron can do for you. The watch will automatically update the time based on your location, and further keeps track of the 39 world timezones (some are in 15 or 30 minute increments) versus just the 24 time zones that most people are familiar with. Of course the watch also has a world time feature that allows you to display two times on the dial and check out the time anywhere in the world.
The dial is surprisingly minimalist, but offers a lovely three-dimensional feel along with modern design. This Kinatro Hattori Special Limited Edition has some other unique qualities. For one thing it doesn’t use the same hands as the other Astron models, and the hour markers are a bit nicer looking. The case is 47mm wide and is black IP coated. Seiko finally uses a ceramic bezel for wear resistance. Gold trim matches the black of the design well.
A message on the rear of the watch is something never before placed on a Seiko watch. A quote from the original Mr. Hattori–himself–about Seiko, the rear of the Astron limited edition watch reads “One Step Ahead Of the Rest.” Also on the rear of the watch is a special gold-toned “S” seal that is the original Seiko “S” logo. For decorative purposes, a black onyx stone is placed in the crown as a cabochon.
Seiko has actually reduced the prices of their Astron watches for 2013, but that applies to the non-limited models. With its unique look and style, the Astron Kintaro Hattori Special Limited Edition watch is a bit more. By the way, it is very “Seiko” to call a watch a “Special Limited Edition.” Aren’t all limited edition special by nature? Perhaps it’s because it celebrates both the founder of Seiko as well as the brand’s 100th Anniversary (unofficially). Anyhow, the Special Limited Edition Astron watch will be limited to 5000 pieces (a fair amount) with a retail price of $3,500. seikowatches.com
Tech specs from Seiko: ref. SAST100
• Caliber 7X52
• GPS controlled time and time zone adjustment
• Hour, minute and second hands
• Date calendar
• Perpetual calendar correct to February 2100
• Signal reception result indication
• World time function (39 Time Zones)
• Daylight Saving Time function
• Power saving function
• Accuracy: +/-15 seconds per month (without receiving a time signal and in temperatures between 5℃ and 35℃)
• Case: Diameter: 47.0 mm, Thickness: 17.4 mm, High-intensity titanium with black hard coating with ceramic bezel, Water resistance 10 Bar, Magnetic resistance 4,800 A/m
• Band: Both a crocodile strap and a titanium bracelet are included, High-intensity titanium with black hard coating with three-fold clasp with push button release
• Glass: Sapphire crystal with Super-Clear Coating
• Retail price (USD): $3,400