This is SUPERLATIVE: A Podcast about watches, the people behind them, and the worlds that inspire them. This week, our host and aBlogtoWatch Founder Ariel Adams is joined by Crispin Jones, the Founder of the unconventional and art-oriented timepiece brand, Mr. Jones Watches. To kick off the show, Ariel and Crispin talk about the first time they met and the intentional decision of Mr. Jones Watches to create something unique versus producing products for the masses. As it’s been 15 years since Crispin first started his company, Ariel asks him about his background and the pair briefly discusses some of the unusual and thought-provoking exhibition pieces that Crispin used to make before he had the idea to create Mr. Jones Watches. From there, the conversation then shifts to why Crispin selected timepieces as the platform for his art, along with the greater philosophy behind his brand’s approach to watchmaking.
After discussing the very earliest days of the company, the pair dig into the social science behind commercial success as it pertains to art and design, along with why embracing a slightly unexpected and divisive element is important to Crispin and the products that he creates. Ariel then brings up the value of Mr. Jones Watches, and Crispin explains why his brand specifically chooses not to move upmarket when it comes to the firmly affordable price point that it occupies. The two then get into a conversation about the process of being an artist who also commissions designs from others, along with the difference in politics behind the financial decisions made at small versus large companies, and why Crispin is a perfect example of how an independent approach can be successful. To end the conversation, Ariel asks Crispin about the future and the updates and changes that we can expect from Mr. Jones Watches.
Stay up-to-date with Crispin and Mr. Jones Watches:
- 00:43 — How Ariel first met Crispin and the advice he gave him.
- 03:05 — About Mr. Jones Watches and the decision to do something unique versus please the masses.
- 06:40 — The 15th anniversary of Mr. Jones Watches and how Crispin first decided to start making timepieces.
- 08:34 — The one-of-a-kind exhibition pieces that Crispin made before starting Mr. Jones Watches.
- 12:59 — Why Crispin chose wristwatches as the platform for his art and the Mr. Jones approach to watchmaking.
- 20:44 — The path to becoming a watch designer and how it can become a business.
- 24:16 — How the success of certain designs can end up being a surprise.
- 30:02 — The social science behind the way people interact with art and design.
- 33:43 — Why having a slightly unexpected and divisive element to design is important to Crispin.
- 37:01 — Crispin’s literal approach to watch design and the true value of Mr. Jones Watches.
- 39:19 — The decision to not move up market when it comes to price point.
- 44:13 — Working with other artists and the process of being an artist who also commissions designs.
- 54:23 — The difference between the way financial decisions are made at small versus large companies, and why Crispin is a perfect example of why an independent approach can be successful.
- 59.01 — The updates and changes that we can expect from Crispin and Mr. Jones Watches in the future.