This is SUPERLATIVE: A Podcast about watches, the people behind them, and the worlds that inspire them. This week, our host and aBlogtoWatch Founder Ariel Adams is joined by Jean-Francois Sberro, the President of Hublot North America. Ariel starts the show by asking Jean-Francois about his extensive history working with Hublot and the internal dynamics of the brand at the time that it was acquired by LVMH. From there, the two discuss the importance of the North American market to Hublot and dive into a brief history of the brand itself. After giving a brief overview of the company and how Jean-Claude Biver ended up staying at Hublot long after he sold it to LVMH, Ariel and Jean-Francois get into the idea of Hublot as a divisive brand within the industry, and whether or not its actually fair to say that Hublot copied the design of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, when all people can site as a resemblance between the two watches is the presence of screws on the bezel.
The conversation then centers upon Jean-Claude Biver and what it was like working for one of the watch industry’s current living legends on a daily basis. Ariel asks Jean-Francois about what kind of things he learned while working for Jean-Claude Biver during such an important time in Hublot’s history, and the two discuss how the brand’s bold and pioneering ethos somewhat reflects the larger-than-life personality of Jean-Claude Biver himself. The conversation then shifts to Hublot’s unique approach to marketing and how it differs from most other brands within the Swiss luxury watch industry, before Ariel rounds out the show by asking Jean-Francois about what is next for Hublot and what we might be able to expect from the brand over the course of the next several years.
To stay updated with Jean-Francois Sberro and Hublot:
- 00:53 — Jean-Francois’s history working with Hublot.
- 02:33 — About Hublot at the time that it was acquired by LVMH.
- 05:01 — How the two very different entities of Hublot and LVMH came together.
- 09:14 — The importance of the North American market to Hublot today.
- 14:18 — A brief history of Hublot watches.
- 19:05 — How Jean-Claude Biver ended up staying with Hublot after he sold the company to LVMH.
- 23:20 — The concept of Hublot as a controversial or divisive brand within the watch industry.
- 28:16 — Did Hublot actually copy the design of the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak or are people just fixating on the bezel screws?
- 34:23 — What it is like to work for Jean-Claude Biver?
- 48:30 — The things that Jean-Francois learned while working for Jean-Claude Biver.
- 53:14 — Hublot’s unique approach to marketing and how it differs from other Swiss luxury brands.
- 01:02:01 — The future of Hublot and what can we expect from the brand over the next few years?
We’d love to hear from you with feedback or suggestions for future show topics or guests. Advertising opportunities are also available. Comment or contact [email protected].