This is SUPERLATIVE: A Podcast about watches, the people behind them, and the worlds that inspire them. This week, our host and aBlogtoWatch Founder Ariel Adams is joined by Peter Cho, the Creative Director and Co-Owner of Jack Mason Watches. The two start the show by talking a little bit about how Peter first got into designing timepieces, the founding of Jack Mason Watches, and some of the parallels that exist between other types of industrial design and the process of creating a wristwatch. After covering Peter’s background and the very earliest days of Jack Mason, the pair discuss the process of working with suppliers and manufacturers, along with how design and branding often become the key differentiating factors when there are low barriers to entry within an industry. Peter then explains his brand’s decision to shift from a wholesale model to one that sells direct to consumers, along with the benefits that come from having a personal relationship with the end-users and the individuals who actually wear his company’s watches every single day.
The conversation then shifts to the concept of designing a physical product versus the various brand-building efforts that often surround it, along with some of the key differences that exist between Swiss and American approaches to branding in general. The duo discusses the necessary balance between focusing on product development and creating effective marketing efforts that properly contextualize the products to customers, before getting into the details about how both components are necessary when creating a quality experience for people. After briefly talking about how intended target demographics can often differ from the types of individuals who actually end up buying products, Ariel asks Peter about his thoughts on the widespread urge for watch brands to try to move upmarket, before looking ahead to the future and getting into what we can expect to see from Jack Mason Watches.
Stay up-to-date with Peter Cho and Jack Mason Watches:
- Instagram — @Jackmasonbrand
- Tiktok — @Jackmasonbrand
- Youtube — Jack Mason
- Website — https://jackmasonbrand.com/
- 00:28 — About Jack Mason Watches and how the company first started.
- 06:29 — The nuances of watch design and the transition from being an industrial designer to creating timepieces.
- 14:38 — The parallels between interior design and watches.
- 17:04 — Working with suppliers and how design becomes the key differentiating factor when there are minimal barriers to entry.
- 23:28 — The decision to shift from a wholesale model to selling direct to consumer and the benefits of having a relationship with buyers.
- 28:53 — Building a brand versus designing a product and the greater meaning of watches.
- 33:09 — Differences between Swiss and American approaches to branding.
- 40:09 — The balance between product development and the brand building that surrounds it.
- 44:33 — How target demographics can often differ from who actually buys the products.
- 50:01 — The widespread urge for watch brands to move upmarket.
- 54:34 — Looking ahead and the future goals of Jack Mason Watches.
We’d love to hear from you with feedback or suggestions for future show topics or guests. Advertising opportunities are also available. Comment or contact [email protected].